Monday 2 April 2012

April

 I am spending less time than usual at my computer at the moment due to outside influences so I have only managed quick looks of other people's postings.   I am trying to prioritise my course and doing practical things rather than 'blogging' when time is limited.  It may be that everything is just taking me a little bit longer these days, but I just don't seem to have the time. However,  I have managed to finish my March calendar page and put together one for April.  

My April page  was influenced by Lesley's photograph of the snake's head fritillaries in her garden, which made me go searching for my postcard of Charles Rennie Macintosh's watercolour.




I decided to make a couple of further studies for future reference as I think they could lend themselves to a bit of stitching.


Although I do try to do some work outside of my course, it is occupying my creative flow.
Below are a few pages developing ideas. 
The first set influenced by the photos I took of Wardown Museum in Luton,





chimney stacks and ridge tiles



Those below are from my collection of favourite objects 





When I started this blog I subtitled it as chronicles of my learning journey, and the last year certainly has been that. I have built up quite a resource of sketchbook ideas and hopefully, if you stick with me, I will be able to share some completed textile work before too long.  I am off to Art Van Go in the next couple of days for supplies of Procion Dye, which I have not used before.  Before long I will actually be applying needle to fabric and starting to interpret some of my ideas into stitch. But I am trying not to jump too far ahead of myself. 
Have a good week
Jill

17 comments:

flutterbycrafter said...

Wow, your work is fantastic, I just love looking at it and drooling. xx

Joanna said...

Hello Jill, reading this post makes me feel like a child in a sweet shop - there's so much to see and drool over! I really enjoy looking at your sketches and seeing how you develop the ideas into patterns and printing. Your rusty keys are wonderful :o)

Your April calendar pages are super - I love fritillaries, they're so pretty and look like nature shouldn't really have been able to create their pattern, if you see what I mean. I like how you developed the pattern on the petals to the background page. Clever.

Looks like you're having lots of fun with your course.

x

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Adore the colours on your March pages and the fritillarias on Aprils, they are beautiful flowers :-) I tried growing some once but they must have been in the wrong spot. Love all your work
Anne x

Unknown said...

Wonderful work as always Jill. I love the April pages and the frittilaries sketches, as well as your wonderful pattern-work. I am looking forward to the next stage in your learning journey. I hope that your energy returns with the coming of spring.

Sandra Hall said...

Its always a delight to visit your blog Jill :) photographs, drawings or stitching - never know what I'll see, but like I said - ALWAYS a delight!

Clare Wassermann said...

Jill your snakes heads are wonderfully painted. Mine have just come up in the garden. I can. Never believe they are real somehow. They are like patchwork petals aren't they. I must crack on with my April layout in my journal today.. The children are off school with colds so we are just in!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Jill, isn't it ironic that you get that new Mac and then get involved in other things that steer you away from it! I believe it will all level out and I think all of your interests will come together and feed each other with the creative quiltmaking course. The sketchbook is great. I love that chimney stacks and ridge tiles image but then I am a huge fan of blue and orange/rust/terracotta so no surprise there. Beautiful fritillary drawings too. Thanks for reminding me about CRM. I often forget his watercolours but they are so beautifully drawn and painted so I'm off to search online for a few more!

Jane said...

Some lovely tings here, Jill. The checking on Snake's head fritilaries always amazes me, though I've never managed to grow them. Look forward to what you do next.

ju-north said...

Love everything you've done!

Young at Heart said...

gorgeous...inspiring...go jump as far as you can!!

Anna said...

Another interesting post of delights for us, thankyou. I am feeling uncreative so it's lovely to see your sketchbook pages.

menopausalmusing said...

Fritillaries and old keys - what's not to love? Lovely, lovely work Jill.

krisandkreate said...

Your April pages are lovely and fresh I particularly like the flowers growing up the left hand side

Diane Kelsey said...

Wow what beautiful work! Being creative must take priority over the Internet.

Linda Vincent said...

Oh wow...your fritillaries are AMAZING! (Better than CRMs in my opinion) Love all that blue and orange work too....fabulous!

Sarah Anderson said...

ooo I do love a good chimney!

thekathrynwheel said...

Beautiful calendar pages as always :-) And I do like to see all your other projects too.