Wednesday 3 February 2010

New Project

Well not quite - it is something I started last year. You may remember the photographs I took at the Walled Garden in Luton Hoo. I have them blu-tacked to my study door and I keep thinking I must do something with them. Then one night whilst listening to the shipping forecast, trying to get to sleep - I had the idea of making a special Walled Garden Journal. So at the next opportunity I visited my nearest vendor of the wonderful Pink Pig books and bought an A3 size - still a bargain (can't remember the exact price). The A4 aren't large enough for a large print. Anyway I have experimented with transferring some images using PVA Marvin Medium and Golden matte Gel plus some or my usual paint and collage work and here is the result.
Fanlight, bricks and monogram are from my photos but I found the portraits of Lady Alice and Sir Julius Wernher on the web. It is their initials in the monogram and they restored the garden in the Edwardian period and had the amazing conservatory built. I now hope this inspires me to get back to the garden to take some more photographs and maybe do some sketching. You can see my photographs here.
 I can now see from the photograph that the monograph is not quite central or straight! How annoying. This was a transfer and stuck face down with a lot of glue - that's my excuse, but annoying all the same.
Latest pages here and here

11 comments:

Ticking stripes said...

Looks great to me! Have I found a fellow shipping forecast lover or was there a touch of irony there?

Jill said...

I often find my virtual journey round the coast helps me drift off and I hopefully never quite make it back to Cape Wrath.

JP said...

looks good to me too - love looking at your January pages close up - it's agood idea - shame I'm too late to start this year!

thekathrynwheel said...

Oooooooh this is amaaazing! I have never quite managed an image transfer, although believe me, I have tried! How did you do it? Wonderful work :-)

menopausalmusing said...

The Walled Garden Journal sounds (and looks) wonderful........... I also would love to know more about the transfer method.

The mention of the shipping forecast made me reminisce. I used to wake at my granny's house to the sound of it resonating from the floor standing radio in the room next door.... a lovely, comforting sound if ever there was one....

WrightStuff said...

I love that you listen to the shipping forecast to fall asleep! Better than counting sheep I suppose! I must get to Luton Hoo this spring/summer. Looks great for inspiration.

Sandra Hall said...

Have you ever heard Craig Revel-Horwood say
"A-MA-ZING"??!! well this certainly is! I followed your link to have a look at the photos and they're great too!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Jill,
The images work so well on this journal page.Have you painted underneath and transferred inkjet images on top? I've never used Marvin Medium but I suppose it's like all acrylic mediums is it? Great images. I'll look forward to seeing other bits of the journal as they evolve. Lesley

Jill said...

I have developed a wretched cold and don't feel like doing anything - I will go into details about transferring images later - Jill

Joy said...

I know you did this work months ago, but I find it so intriguing. Don't know how you do it and am not familiar with the brands/products you have mentioned. Also, don't know what the 'shipping forecast' is, but shall Google it and try to find out.

Clare Wassermann said...

I know this is from a while ago but hey we've just been invited to stay at Luton Hoo next October - now I am really excited - I have a thing about walled gardens. I have one of my own but it's a bit functional just now with trampoline and rabbit hutches and young children but one day.....