I have had a really busy week again, but I have manage to fit in an hour or two for practising my free machine embroidery skills. By drawing with my needle, I have stitched two butterflies.
I first painted them onto pelmet weight vilene using Koh-i-nor watercolours. The top one here, based on a Peacock butterfly, I covered with a piece of 'shot' polyester organza to give it it some shimmer. I then machine stitched using a straight stitch varying the top and bottom threads, often tightening the top tension to bring up the bottom thread to break the colour.
Here I have scanned the two pieces. I added a bit of hand stitching to the Peacock one.
This is the reverse side which is also quite nice, but the colour is less intense without the painted background.
Here I have photographed them with a packet of machine needles for scale. Since taking the picture I have cut out the peacock one, using a fine soldering iron which has sealed the edge of the polyester organza. I am experimenting with making it into a small book.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Meanwhile I have done a few tasks in the garden, cutting the the grass always makes such a difference, even if nothing else is done. I was pleased to see this frog in our little pond guarding her great pile of spawn. As I was shooting into the sun I used the integral flash to add a little detail and sparkle to her eye.
I was also pleased with this shot of the water iris and its reflection, not looking quite real.
I seem to have yet another busy week coming up, but hopefully I'll manage to fit in a bit of creativity. I think another week of sunshine is too much to hope for, but a few more days of fine weather would go down well.
I hope you are having a great weekend, and have a good week.