Sunday 15 January 2012

Work(s) in progress


I have been trying some different  methods of using soft pastels - this still life was created with paper stencils.  It gives a beautiful soft effect, but completely out of character with what else is in my sketchbook.  I'm still living with all of these following pages and seeing what I may add.


Below I have used the same technique but used the roof tops of my urban setting as inspirations - still haven't finished with it yet.


The roof top shape suggested this diamond pattern below next to a monoprint of my house I managed to do straight into my book after many failed attempts on paper - once again watch this space for developments on this page.


Finally in my sketchbook this charcoal and wash rendering of a local view is also waiting for some more work.  


I am loving all of this - although as you can see a lot of things were started this week - some consolidation needed as I near the end of my Design Matters course.  I am having to change some of my thinking.  As a mainly figurative artist I am having to re-educate my eye in thinking towards design opportunities.   I am hoping that the C&G Creative Quiltmaking will help me realise some of my ideas as stand alone pieces.

Meanwhile, I thought I would have a go with drawing onto fabric using Derwent Inktense water-soluble pencils.  As these supposedly become permanent once wetted they work really well on fabric.  I used some sketches of aquilegias I had in a sketchbook and copied them onto unbleached cotton calico.  I then though I would try some machine quilting and found a couple of demos on binding quilts on good ole' Youtube.  My mitred corners wouldn't stand close inspection, but I felt quite pleased with the results.  I added some hand stitching to the right hand one, but I'm not sure whether it added anything to the end result. I don't know what I shall do with these - I may just put them in my textile workbook as samples.  



I thought you might like to see I how I have added colour to these previous pages - done way back last August.  It has turned a sketchbook exercise into something much more interesting - I think!



Thanks for sharing my pages with me - it is so lovely to get your comments, they mean a lot.
Have a good week.
Jill





12 comments:

Gina said...

As always I love seeing your sketchbook pages Jill. Might shame me into getting on with mine!

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

I love the rooftop shapes Jill and your stitchery look just perfect. Thanks for some lovely colourful and inspiring pics x

Jane Housham said...

Terrific pages. I particularly like the monoprint of your house.

Suztats said...

Thanks for the peek into your sketchbook! Love what you've shown!

Unknown said...

Wow - you've done so much Jill. I like it all - very interested in the first few pieces as they are such a change for you.

Kim Henkel Creations said...

Thank you for sharing your sketch book. It is lovely. and such a variety of looks! I enjoyed my first visit to your blog...will be back another day!

marny said...

I'm doing the sketchbook classes as well and it's really fun to see what you've been doing with your pages. They are delighful.

Clare Wassermann said...

Out of character is so good for pushing the boundaries isn't it? I'm really looking forward to beginning moqdule 3 but I don't want it to end...

menopausalmusing said...

Such a treat to get to look inside your sketchbooks. I love the charcoal and wash pages, so striking...........

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Love the monoprint of the house Jill. There's a lovely graininess to it which appeals to me. You are really experimenting with lots of media aren't you - and enjoying it all too it seems! Love the pastel houses too because of that graphic pattern they create. As for those inktense pencil pieces... well I think you're already doing creative quiltmaking before even starting on the next course!

Diana said...

Thank you so much for posting, Jill, your pages are wonderful. I am struggling to find motivation with my OCA Textiles course and wish I had done this creative sketchbooks one - think I will do that next if I ever complete the first one! Thank you for the inspiration.

Emma said...

Wonderful pages, love the rooftops & stamps added to the drawings. So much to inspire you for future pieces, whatever you choose them to be.