Tuesday 2 August 2011

Phew! Wot a Scorcha!


August has hit like hot, wet blanket and I am feeling all limp and energy less. There are big dark clouds brewing in the distance and there isn't a breath of wind, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear thunder a bit later. I went into the town today to visit the hairdressers' and the centre was hardly recognizable with picnic tables set out in St George's Square in front of a stage with a children's entertainer and everyone sitting outside eating their lunches. The town had a real holiday feel. The air conditioning at the hairdressers was just right and coming outside into the heat brought back lots of holiday memories. It is not often here that it is hotter outside than in. Back home the earlier breeze has dropped  and I have drooped.  Marvin is lurking in the shrubbery and Mr T is googling on the lap-top. I have made myself create my August calendar page, not least because it is too hot to think about anything else.  I'm not sure how many more of these I will share, although I shall probably keep creating them as I like keeping a diary, but I feel the novelty of posting them is wearing off. 


As you can see my August pages are very simple, just a colour wash with cut out squares and a bit of stamping.
Thank you to everyone who contributed about the Mac and those of you who commented on my last post. You are very kind. The page shown is in my Art Journal, as are the calendar pages above.  My sketchbooks are really more like doodle pads. I am hoping the Creative Sketchbook course will help me bring the two together.
I have been invited to have a stall at a local Photography group's autumn exhibition so I have been stitching a few bits and pieces which I will share with you later.  Meanwhile enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.  It has completely clouded over here now and a breeze has sprung up! It is no wonder we obsess about the weather went it changes from one end of a page to the other!


16 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

Well I for one ike your monthly journal pages! are you doing the Kemshall Sketchbooking course??? I am soooooo tempted but money and time a tight darnit. Xx

Marigold Jam said...

Can it really be the 8th month of this year already? Where do the months go? It has been hot but sunny here although the first time I have felt really hot this year! Hope you are pleased with your hair - too hot to be blow dried or worse still under a drier today so lucky they have air conditioning. Glad Marvin is finding a shady spot - our two are indoors where it is cooler than in the garden stretched out.

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

Phew it really has been a sticky one here today hasn't it. I am melting and a nasty heat rash has come up on my shoulders and it is itching like mad. Glad Marvin is keeping cool ... don't know where our ginge is but Binks is stretched out on my bed .... I left the door open to get some circulation going and he crept in.

WrightStuff said...

Yup, it was a scorcher alright, but your prediction about the storm was true - it's tipping it down here. I was half tempted to run about in it to cool down... but then it did look awfully wet!

patcrafts said...

Beautiful weather here in Yorkshire no sign of a storm yet. Your August pages are simple but very effective. It would be a great pity if you didn't post your calendar pages especially as you were the instigator.

harmony and rosie said...

I would not like to se you give up the calendar pages, they are wonderful. I always enjoy seeing what you come up with each month. Not a scorcher here, but hot and just how summer should be but all the same, given we finally received our new parasol today I'll put it away in case the storm comes!

menopausalmusing said...

Hot and humid here too. We don't see our cat from morning till evening when he saunters in from wherever he has snoozed all day and then demands food - NOW! ;O)))) 'tis the nature of the beast.

Jane said...

A bit fresher here today (Weds) but yesterday and Monday were airless and humid and we couldn't open all the windows as we had visiting cat. It was actually nicest in the car with the aircon so I was glad I had a lot to go out and do!
Have just noticed a mistake in my latest postcard so will have to quickly do it again....... unaccustomed heat has fried my brain.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Well it's sunny here but not too hot. There are times when it's nice to have the breeze from the sea but I think you're seeing better weather than us on a consistent basis. Good news about the sketchbook course. I'm still prevaricating... nothing new there!

Chrissie said...

Decided to vacuum, roast vegetables and bake a cake today ... must be mad in all this heat and humidity! I am excited to see what you do on your sketchbook course - you know I love your sketchbooks!

thekathrynwheel said...

Your pages look so bright and zingy ( as usual!) I know what you mean about the heat - it just zaps you doesn't it? Typical Brits, we spend all our time moaning about the rain and then moan when its hot LoL!

McMGrad89 said...

Glad you found the energy to make the page! I understand how hot it can be.

Unknown said...

Very bright lovely colours x

Unknown said...

What fab summery pages - love the simple look for August - very effective.

Sharne Gregory said...

You can't give up !! It was you who inspired me to join this challenge. LOve your summery pages.

Kimberly Gruber said...

love your august pages, I like the simplicity! scorch? really? I'm assuming your in Europe? Bless you, it's only 106 today in good ole USA-TExas! I sweat just looking outside!