Saturday 24 October 2009

'Mums


Today is grey and damp - a horrid mizzle in the air - scuppering my plans to go out with my camera - but never mind, I am definitely in a better mood than yesterday morning, although by the end of the day I was cheered. Today I have played with paints and ideas for actually painting on a canvas. It is so cheap to buy stretched canvases these days, I have got them from B&Q and and from Dunelm. They are probably knocked up in a Chinese sweatshop (but I won't think about that today) I have gessoed my canvas and added a layer of paint and now must wait for it to thoroughly dry. I have aims to develop my thistle head idea from here
Here I have posted a drawing of a bunch of chrysanthemums I did several years ago, which I always liked when I came across it in a trawl through my sketchbooks. So I thought I'd give it a second life and cut round the drawing and stuck it on a prepared background in my art journal embellished with a bit of stencilling from sequin waste - a mainstay for art journal creators.
Chrysanthemums in October always make me think of my poor old mum, who spent her last few years in a nursing home, where she was cared for with much consideration. Her birthday was in October and she always seemed to have chrysanths on her windowsill through out the winter months. So these are for her.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I love the Chrysanths pic. In France they are always associated with death and you must never give them as a gift to a French person! The hanging baskets and municipal parks are filled with them at the end of October for All Saints Day and it seems such a shame to me that they have this association.

My Mum too had her birthday in October and sadly died just 2 days before it. You can imagine my feelings on answering the door just after her death to see the postman there with a load of cards and gifts!!

Have just googled Art Journals as being a bit dim I wasn't sure what they were and love the idea of making one of my own to keep all my ideas and samples etc together so thanks for inspiring me to try it for myself!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Jane x

Unknown said...

Love the picture Jill: it has certainly brightened up my day.

It seems to be a day for thinking of mums. I just found the Flickr site of a photographer whose work I much admire. Among other things, he did a series of pictures of his mother in her nursing home. I would post a link but don't seem to be able to. His name is Joe Burden, if you are interested enough to want to search for him on Flickr. He is a most interesting artist - some of his photos remind me of your pictures. Well worth a look.

menopausalmusing said...

Isn't it lovely trawling through old work? I love finding pieces that I had forgotten about, but still stand the test of time............... Lovely illustration.

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Hi there! So many pretty post images - lovely and cheery and so full of talent! It's always a joy to visit.

Hey! You won a surprise on my blog, one you didn't even know about. Congratulations!